Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Walker Road between Carter Road and Davis Road is now open to traffic.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Let’s honor the American Flag! Today celebrates the adoption of the flag in 1777 by the Continental Congress. The modern flag is comprised of 13 stripes representing the 13 original colonies and 50 stars representing the 50 states. #FlagDay #StarsAndStripes
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
#TeamFCEO attended the 2024 COMTO Columbus Scholarship Luncheon to celebrate the achievements of this year’s scholarship recipients. It was an inspiring event, and we wish all of the students success in their future endeavors!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
June is National Safety Month, and this week is dedicated to roadway safety. Stay safe by being aware of your surroundings including the road, traffic, weather, other vehicles, and pedestrians to avoid potential hazards. #nationalsafetymonth
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org
Top
 

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 2

Bridge Builders Biography Chapter 2

1913 Flood

bridge
bridge

By the 1880s, iron truss bridges were being built along the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers. These structures, despite their load bearing strength, were prone to high water damage that reached a crisis point with the historic Flood of 1913.

From March 23rd through the 27th, heavy rains and melting snow caused the rivers to rise 22 feet above flood stage. The deluge killed 96 county residents, left more than 20,000 homeless, and destroyed the bridges at Broad Street, State Street, and Town Street.

One of the crossings to survive the flood was a new earth-filled concrete arch bridge being built over the Olentangy River at King Avenue (shown here). The survival of the reinforced concrete brought about dramatic changes in bridge engineering that lead to the eventual building of “flood proof” bridges throughout Franklin County.