Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Walker Road between Carter Road and Davis Road is now open to traffic.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Let’s honor the American Flag! Today celebrates the adoption of the flag in 1777 by the Continental Congress. The modern flag is comprised of 13 stripes representing the 13 original colonies and 50 stars representing the 50 states. #FlagDay #StarsAndStripes
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
#TeamFCEO attended the 2024 COMTO Columbus Scholarship Luncheon to celebrate the achievements of this year’s scholarship recipients. It was an inspiring event, and we wish all of the students success in their future endeavors!
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
June is National Safety Month, and this week is dedicated to roadway safety. Stay safe by being aware of your surroundings including the road, traffic, weather, other vehicles, and pedestrians to avoid potential hazards. #nationalsafetymonth
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org
Top
 

Highway Chronicle Chapter 9

Highway Chronicle Chapter 9

Auto Age Arrives, Ohio Highway Department Established

HC9-2

I am text block. Click edit button to change this text. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.The Auto Age began in Franklin County in September 1899 when businessman Campbell T. Chittenden bought the region’s first “horseless carriage” from the Winton Motor Carriage Company in Cleveland. The $1,000 gas-powered vehicle could reach a maximum speed of 33 m.p.h.

Two months later, inventor Perry Okey built the first automobile in Columbus and “motored” around the county to much acclaim.

In 1903, 16 horseless carriage owners joined together to form the Columbus Automobile Club, and more than 10,000 spectators gathered at the Columbus Driving Park, on July 4, to witness daredevil Barney Oldfield break the automobile speed record by hitting 70 mph behind the wheel of a Peerless Green Dragon.

To help meet the challenges of growing automobile travel, the legislature established the Ohio Highway Department in 1905 and Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles in 1906.

The highway department initially designated county surveyors to be their representatives in identifying and repairing roadway problems. They also oversaw the distribution of state funding derived from registration fees, first collected in 1908, and the two-cent per gallon gas tax initiated in 1925.

By 1930, there were 107,000 automobiles registered in Franklin County that accentuated the need for dramatically improved travel. At the time, there were still 183 miles of earthen roads and 386 miles of macadam roads that were dusty rut filled thoroughfares that often turned to mud.

ticket