Franklin County Engineer Facebook Feed

Franklin County Engineer

As a local public works agency headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, the Franklin County Engineer's Office is responsible for the maintenance and construction of 271 miles of county roadway and 351 county bridges, as well as upkeep of all county ditches, drains, retention basins, and other storm water facilities within the right-of-way of county roads in unincorporated areas. To meet the continuing development and infrastructure needs of Franklin County, the Engineer's Office utilizes the latest technologies for determining and maintaining roadway centerlines and boundaries; retracing and setting new monuments for original public land surveys; preparing geographic information system mapping for real estate tax assessments; and establishing precise countywide horizontal and vertical control to maintain uniformity in construction, surveying, and mapping.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
As we conclude Black History Month, we recognize the Alaska Highway Veterans who were a group of nearly 4,000 African American Soldiers in the United States Army Corps of Engineers who helped build the Alaska Highway in 1942 under a tight schedule and rough climate conditions.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer is with Franklin County Sheriff's Office.
#TeamFCEO attended the Franklin County Treasurer's Office Annual Black History Month Celebration. The theme, African Americans and the Arts: How Black Creatives are Shaping the Narrative, supports the work and contributions of local artists in the community.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
A huge shoutout to the incredible crews who worked tirelessly this morning to clear away the aftermath of the storm! Your hard work and dedication have not gone unnoticed. Our community is safer and more resilient, thanks to your efforts. #TeamFCEO
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Taylor Station Road between Taylor Road and Havens Corners Road is now open to traffic.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
#TeamFCEO participated in a panel discussion titled “Reimagining an Inclusive Equitable Future in Transportation” hosted by Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) and COMTO Columbus (Conference of Minority Transportation Officials) to discuss how to make our growing region even more inclusive. The event was informative and engaging.
Franklin County Engineer
Franklin County Engineer
Taylor Station Road between Taylor Road and Havens Corners Road is closed due to down power lines and a vehicle crash. The road will remain closed until repairs are made the road is clear for travel.
Franklin County Engineer's Office
970 DUBLIN ROAD
COLUMBUS, OHIO 43215
(614) 525-3030
fracoeng@franklincountyengineer.org
Top
 

Highway Chronicle Chapter 8

Highway Chronicle Chapter 8

Streetcars Provide Reliable Mud-Free Travel

building
Tram

In 1863, horse-drawn streetcar service, referred to as “the street railroad,” provided the first mud-free public transit in Franklin County. A ride down High Street, from Naghten Street to Livingston Avenue, cost just a nickel. Tracks were later added to Long Street in 1870, and State and Oak Streets in 1872.

Electric streetcars, powered by overhead wiring, were introduced to Columbus during the summer of 1887 when the new technology was tested on 11th Avenue, between High Street and the State Fairgrounds. This innovation lead to the development of countywide electric street car service. High Street was the first major route, inaugurated on January 14, 1891.

Decorative steel arches erected over High Street, to hold the electrified wiring for the streetcars, lead Columbus to be known as “the Arch City.”

Interurban streetcars that provided passenger and freight service between cities began operating in 1902. Once the large parlor cars left the busy streets of Columbus, they could travel more than 50 mph on their routes to Dayton, Cincinnati, Chillicothe, Zanesville, Mt. Vernon, Mansfield and Cleveland. Cleveland, Southwestern & Columbus Railway.

By 1905, more than 700 miles of streetcar track ran through Franklin County and the central Ohio region. Popular destinations included the Ohio Statehouse; Palace, Ohio and Southern Theaters; State Fairgrounds; Buckeye Lake, Indianola, Olentangy, and Minerva Amusement Parks; Lazarus Department Store; and The Ohio State University.

The popularity of automobiles and buses, and the “Great Depression” of the 1930s brought about the end of interurban streetcar lines. Local streetcars, however, would remain in operation until replaced with trackless trolleys and diesel buses by the Columbus Transit Company.

The last streetcar ran on the Neil Avenue/Main Street Line on September 4, 1948.

If you listen closely, you can still hear the bells, the rattling change, and the conductor’s booming voice: “Next stop, Capital Square!”