Manual of Issuance of Special Hauling Permits on Franklin County Highways
Effective December 1, 2002 PDF Version of Manual
Section 4513.34 of the Ohio Revised Code, in part, grants permission to local authorities with respect to highways under their jurisdiction, to issue special permits for the operation of vehicles or combinations of vehicles of a size or weight of a vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified in Sections 5577.01 to 5577.09 of the Ohio Revised Code.
The Franklin County Board of Commissioners, in their effort to effectively control the use of County maintained highways, have set forth the following conditions whereby permission may be granted to operate such oversize or overweight vehicles or move such oversize or overweight loads in a manner that will not materially affect the safety of the motoring public or the integrity of the highway or structures.
II. SCOPE AND APPLICATION
This policy applies to the movement on or across any and all Franklin County maintained highways of all vehicles and loads that exceed the maximum allowable weight, width, height, and/or length as described in Sections 5577.04 and 5577.05 of the Ohio Revised Code.
All individuals, firms, partnerships, companies or corporations wishing to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified in Sections 5577.01 to 5577.09 of the Ohio Revised Code on any or all Franklin County maintained highways must obtain a special hauling permit from the Franklin County Commissioners through the Franklin County Engineer.
B. Responsibility for Permits
The Franklin County Engineer on behalf of the Board of Franklin County Commissioners shall be responsible for administering the issuance of special hauling permits, including receiving applications for special permits; reviewing applications for completion; inspecting proposed routes; recommending issuance or denial of permits, and maintaining records of all applications and permits.
V. PERMIT PROCEDURES
A. General Information
1. The procedures set forth herein shall serve as a guide in establishing a uniform method for the application of regulations governing the issuance of permits to operate or move vehicles or combinations of vehicles of a size or weight of a vehicle or load exceeding the maximum specified in Sections 5577.01 to 5577.09 of the Ohio Revised Code on or across any and all Franklin County maintained highways.
2. Issuance of special hauling permits shall apply only to County highways outside of municipal corporations unless the County has, by agreement, assumed full maintenance of a section of highway that lies wholly or in part within a municipal corporation.
3. Requests for special hauling permits must be made in accordance with the policies and procedures as set forth in this section. Applicants are advised that these permits cover only Franklin County maintained highways. Permits to move over state highways must be obtained from the Director of Transportation. Permits to move over municipal highways must be obtained from the applicable municipality if so required. Permits to move over township maintained highways must be obtained from individual Township Trustee Boards. The Franklin County Commissioners assume no responsibility for the failure of the applicant to secure such applicable state, municipal, or township permits.
C. Bonds and Insurance
Prior to issuance of a special hauling permit, the applicant will be required to furnish one of the following:
1. Liability Insurance - A Certificate of Liability Insurance with limits of no less than $500,000 bodily injury liability, $1,000,000 each occurrence and $500,000 property damage liability. If the applicant does not have specified insurance limits but has an excess umbrella liability policy of $1,000,000 or greater, the excess liability policy shall be considered as acceptable insurance coverage. There shall be a Special Contractual Endorsement attached and filed with the Certificate of Liability Insurance.
2. Surety Bond - A Surety Bond, certified check or approved escrow account in the amounts required in paragraph “a. Liability Insurance.” All Surety Bonds must be submitted on forms approved by Franklin County.
A. General Information
1. A fee, payable to the Franklin County Engineer, will be charged to cover the cost of issuing a permit and/or inspecting the roadway and structures before, during and after the permitted movement.
2. An application for a special hauling permit must be accompanied by the application fee.
3. The amount of the fee will be established by resolution and will be reviewed periodically by the Franklin County Commissioners and the Franklin County Engineer.
4. Permit fees shall be paid by check or money order. The permit holder may elect to establish an account with the Franklin County Engineer’s Office whereby future permit fees may be drawn from the balance. The cost of the permit and the credit balance will be shown on the permit.
5. Fees for Special Hauling Permits shall be as follows:
a. Permit Fees
For additional information, please contact Steve Buskirk of the Franklin County Engineer's Support Services Utilities Department at (614) 525-3056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.